Finding God’s Will for Your Life
“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for peace and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
God is speaking through prophet Jeremiah to Israel. Can we claim that this is also true for us individually?
“Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be. How precious are Your thoughts to me, O God!” Psalm 139:16-17
God saw us before we were born. He wove into our DNA talents, abilities, and purposes. He already had written down the plans He has for us.
God is sovereign, in the sense He has supreme power. But He is not sovereign in the sense that nothing can happen without His permission. God does not control our lives. Everything that happens in your life is not God’s will.
“The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9
God wants everyone saved, yet not everyone will be saved. We have a choice in the matter.
God has a will and plan for us but not everyone will find and follow His will, even Xns!
Theme of book of Judges:
“Everyone did what was right in their own eyes.”
God created everything and everyone with a purpose. Your parents may not have known you were coming, but God did. You are not a mistake or an accident. We should all be seeking God about His purposes for us being here.
We don’t want to be like the people of God in the book of Judges where, “Everyone did what was right in their own eyes.”
There are some things we already know are God’s will for us:
1. Present our bodies as a living sacrifice – Romans 12:1
2. Renew our minds with God’s Word – Romans 12:1
3. Share the gospel with the world – Matt. 28:19-20
4. Seek first God’s kingdom rule – Mtt 6:33
5. Live with God’s peace ruling – Col. 3:15
Many other things are clear.
God has a more specific plan for your life:
1. You were born a man or a woman.
2. You were born a certain time in history.
3. You were born in a certain nation.
4. You have certain gifts and abilities to accomplish what He has planned for you to do.
God’s plan is revealed in steps and stages:
“First the blade, then the stalk, then the full head of seed.” Mark 4:28
ill. Over a period of time you discover more details. When we first went to Bible College it was not to pastor a church. Chaplain in the military? Counselor? After 2 years I pastored a small church in Georgia, while a student. Two years later we were full time youth pastors for 2 ½ years. After this Pastor for 6 ½ years in Astor then Fruitland Park and now GT.
I wasn’t out of God’s will when I was a Baptist pastor. It was all a time of training for me for the next step. God’s will takes time, steps and stages, - first the blade, then stalk then the head of grain.
Talents and abilities are not always the best indicator of God’s will!
1. Just because you are able to speak in front of people does not mean that God wants you to be a preacher.
- You may have talents/abilities undiscovered and undeveloped.
2. Ill. A personality test can’t tell you God’s plan for your life. It is only a snapshot of where you are at that moment you take the test. We change through the years.
3. Your achievements are not necessarily revealing God’s plan for your life. God always calls us to do something BEYOND our natural ability, forcing us to rely on Him.
Paul said of himself,
“It pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called me by His grace. . .” Gal. 1:15
Paul recognized God had a purpose for him to be a representative for God. Yet for 20 – 30 years he thought being a legalistic Jew was the way he would fulfill God’s will. When God revealed Himself to him on the Damascus road, “You’re doing it all wrong!” Now Paul had completely reverse the direction his life was going.
You don’t have to be a preacher to have a God given purpose! God calls more people to be out in the world than He does to be full time ministers. You can reach people I can’t!
The primary universal will for everyone is to personally know Jesus!
- Even the devils know God is real. Mental acknowledgment.
- Commit to His Lordship – His plans for your life unfold like a flower moment by moment as you live with Him.
“I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able, to keep that which I have committed to Him against that day.” 2 Tim. 1:12
If finding God’s will you have to commit something. Are you going to go through life singing, Que’ sera’ sera’. Whatever will be will be?”
Or are you going to make a commitment to seek and find God’s will for your life?
This prayer is a step of faith to start the process of God revealing His will to you:
I thank You that You have detailed plans for my life. I don’t want to do things on my own anymore. I want to know Your will and what You created me for. I understand discovering Your will is a process. I am making a commitment to begin to seek and continue to seek Your will until I find and fulfill it. I am not going to be content living my life for myself. I humble myself and ask You to give me supernatural revelation. I believe that right now that process has begun. You are going to keep that which I commit to You. Thank You in advance, for revealing Your will to me in a way I can see and understand my next step. In Jesus’ name. Amen.